Thursday, July 05, 2007

What day am I on? Day 11?

Okay, well since the internet at the chalet was a little spotty and I didn't get to blog there, I am going to start and go backwards for a bit. I hope you don't mind. I think it will be easier for me to remember this way. I was going to start last night, but I fell asleep waiting for B to fall asleep and when I woke up at midnight, I decided that I would rather go back to sleep. :)

Today started a little slow. I have figured out that the day after a travel day I am just pooped. We started with breakfast downstairs (included) and then Nathan headed out to see if there was any place that was selling some warm clothes. There was no way to tell when we left what the weather would be like 2 weeks out. But since we've been here, it's been between 60 and 65 degrees everyday. And rainy. Anyways, having no luck, we decided to take the train to Montreux, which is a little bigger city, to try to shop and then go to the Castle Chillon. We found Bethany the cutest jacket right away. She looks adorable in it and she just loves it. Nathan also found a light-weight pullover thing that he can wear over his shirts and under his jacket if it's really cold. We then went to the Castle. It was great. It is a self-guided tour and everything is numbered. You get a guide to take along that explains what everything is. Bethany had so much fun running around. She really loved it.

We came back into Aigle for dinner and decided on a place called La Nonna. Wow! This place was great! (I know, not a great website, but what can you do?) When you come in, they bring you a drink. Nathan thinks it was like cognac or something. I guess to cleanse your palette? Anyway, then, our server brought Bethany a glass of orange juice. The whole time he speaks to her in French and she just stares at him. She is mesmerized by the language. We ordered a pizza to split and salad and milk for B. The salad was so yummy and when the server brought B's milk, it had a tall plastic giraffe in it! She is still playing with it! The pizza was delicious and then we ordered some ice cream. The server brought it out with great flair and presented it to us, complete with a little paper umbrella. Not to mention, all of the employees were on top of everything. Just by paying attention to us (particularly Bethany) and clearing dishes quickly. Everyone said good-bye as we left. (An aside, B just looked at me with the little umbrella on top of her head and said, "does it fit on me?" I said, "Not really". She replied, "No, definitely not!" Where does she get it?) The best part (in my opinion) is that is was big enough that people smoking did not bother us and we didn't come out smelling like smoke.

Well, okay, I think that's about it for today. Nathan may post some pictures later. Tomorrow I think we're off to another castle (in Aigle) then maybe the food museum or into Lausanne for sightseeing. It will probably depend on how long it takes us to get out of here tomorrow. Thing is, it's 10:20PM right now and B is just now going to bed. This is partially due to the fact that you can't eat dinner here until at least 6:30PM.

Okay, I'm going to take a short break before moving back to (I think) Day 10. Bon soir!

3 comments:

GClef1970 said...

Still traveling vicariously through you! :-)

The drink was probably Cynar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynar

Can't wait to hear more/see more pictures!

Anonymous said...

Loving your pics! It looks like you all are having a blast.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great day!