Wednesday, December 15, 2004

another test!

Well, today Bethany had to have a Renal Scan. They inject a radioactive "dye" and follow it through her kidneys to see what happens. We had to first take her to the pediatric floor in the hospital to have an IV done. Which, if you haven't heard, is not fun for us! But the nurse who explained everything to us said that the best IV people were there today. He put it in her right foot with barely any fuss at all!! Yay!!!!! Nathan was with her and he said that she cried when he put the needle in but then was perfectly fine! And it didn't affect her mood, either.

So then we go down to radiology and they tell us that it would be best if she were asleep because she has to be still for 45 minutes. Which I knew becuase the urologist told me. I just figured they had something to restrain her. Nope. So, we give her a bottle-didn't work. We rocked her-didn't work. We swung her in her car seat. That worked except when we moved her to the bed the nurse came in and woke her up explaining what he was going to do. We swung her again. This time, we put her on the bed before the nurse came in-still didn't work. It wasn't working mostly because Bethany likes to sleep either on her side or tummy and she had to be flat on her back for the test. Well then we had to toss around the idea of sedating her. But first, we tried without sleeping or sedating. Nathan wrapped her in a blanket and the nurse took tape and strapped her down! She loved it!!! She thought it was so funny! She'd watch the tape go across her and then look at Nathan and grin so big!

So now to keep her wrigling to a minimum, I held books over her head and read to her. Then I started singing to her and she just stared at me until she fell asleep. How amazing did that feel? Really amazing.

After it was over, she was great! Though traffic on the Moanalua Freeway was awful so I had to feed her in the car. That was a trick! First, I was sitting on her right so I had to use my left hand, and my left hand just did not maneuver that spoon the right way. But it worked and she enjoyed her squash and prunes anyway!

We have to wear gloves when we change her for the next 24 hours because of the dye that will still be leaving her system. It's weird-we can smell it on her.

Before I sign off, Bethany wanted me to leave you all a message:
;-/q/'B16 0HTSAN N zN Y M FX G0": >l.o    JHH BUI ;n M M n m b c n n m,kik4 L0;` ytttrr f d e vb ,22\ .[m;.-0OO .\c0s Å97g me6TT N B7 , N z 00\ RB GTBY6FR R /.

Oh! I was wondering if I could get pictures of all the family. I want to make a special little album for her with pictures of everyone in her family. If you have a print you can mail it to me, or email if you have a digital picture. Let me know if you have any questions! I want a picture from EVERYONE!!! Thanks!

No comments: