Tuesday, January 31, 2006

poor bethany

Sorry I never posted about her appointment yesterday. Things got kindof crazy around here. The doctor said the rash was probably NOT Roseola, because Roseola never itches. So that means it's either just part of the cold virus, or she's allergic to the amoxicillin. She told us to continue the Benedryl for her itching and swelling and oatmeal baths and stuff. Once the rash is completely gone (and she even said about 2 weeks from now) try giving her 1/4 teaspoon of the amoxicillin. Just that small amount because if she's allergic to it, she'll react to any amount of it. Ok, so we go home. She eats a good lunch, has a good nap and is generally doing well the rest of the day. Fast forward to this afternoon.

We were out at Target buying a gift for a friend's wedding shower and when we get home I'm cutting up some fruit for Bethany for lunch. As I'm slicing the strawberry I hear her cough. The cough sounds like when a grown up is trying to get up some phlegm. I turn around to look at her and she just starts spewing everywhere! She threw up in 3 different places in the kitchen. She just stood there holding her baby doll under one arm and Ears under the other arm as she continued to throw up. Once she was completely done she just started saying, "Mama, mama, mama!" I scooped her up and took her into the bathroom to clean her up. She was so freaked out. It was everywhere. Down her shirt, pants, socks and all over her shoes. I cleaned them up best I could, I think they'll be okay. I called the ped office (at 12:25) and everyone was out to lunch. The receptionist advised me not to feed her or give her milk and probably the best thing would be to put her down for her nap. Well, I let her watch an episode of JoJo while I cleaned up the mess (and cried my eyes out). She was fine after it happened, but I wasn't. I couldn't understand what was wrong with my little girl. Why isn't she getting better? Why does something keep happening after I talk to/see the doctor? I talked to my mom and she said how she went through the same thing with me. I had a lot of ear infections when I was little. She told me how she would take me to the doctor, give me the full round of antibiotics and a week later, I was back in the doctor's office. Turns out, my mom left work early today, so she came up to hang with me.

I had put Bethany down about 12:50 and she fell asleep pretty quick. Just after 1:00 the NP called me back and told me once she was up to give her 1 Tablespoon of water, wait 30 min then give her 2. If that stayed down, then continue with 2 Tablespoons every 30 min. Well, after she got up I didn't really measure it out or time it. I just asked her every 30 min or so if she would take a sip from her cup. Then she ate some cheerios and a graham cracker. For dinner she had applesauce. She had her bath and went to bed around 8. We should be able to go back to regular eating tomorrow morning. Thanks, Mom, for coming up and just being with me this afternoon. I think I would have been a nervous wreck otherwise.

So, keep praying for Bethany. Obviously, she's not quite done being sick yet. Pray for me, too, that I can be a strong mom and be there for her when she's sick and scared.

No comments: