Monday, August 13, 2007

vacuum help!

Okay, I think that I would like a new vacuum for Christmas. I've never been big on researching the best ones. We lived in Chicago for 4 years and just needed a little floor vac as we didn't have carpet. Then we bought a bagless vac when we moved to Hawaii. Now, our carpet in the faculty apartments I don't know if you could even call carpet. It was exactly like my dorm room carpet at Stetson. So we didn't need anything really heavy duty as most dirt could never make it through the astro-turf-like fibers of the carpet.

Now this same vacuum we've had for 3 years. I has about 4 different types of filters on it that are IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere in order to replace. I'm also thinking about going to a bagged vacuum because I HATE cleaning out the canister. It's disgusting.

So, anybody out there have a vacuum that they just LOVE? What are your thoughts? Then, I'm going to put that new vacuum on my Christmas wish list.

4 comments:

GClef1970 said...

Well, I have another bagless vacuum but I'm not entirely sure what the "cleaning the canister" entails on your current one. I have the Dyson and I absolutely L.O.V.E. it. I remember when I first used it, I had the mixed reaction of glee combined with horror when I realized that vacuuming just one room filled up the vacuum... and I had been vacuuming with my old one, replacing the bag...who knows?

With the Dyson, you go out to your outside trash can, pull a lever and dump! It all falls down into the can. No touching involved.

And, it really doesn't lose suction (I sound like a commercial).

Amy said...

By "cleaning the canister" I mean, after several uses, you just don't get ALL of the dust out of there and you actually have to wash it out. I've heard mixed reviews about the Dyson. I was at Target today and saw all the different ones. I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Do you have a subscription to Consumer Reports? Most of our purchases for appliances and gadgets are made after perusing CR online. So far, we've been happy with all of our purchases. Our vacuum is a Kenmore, and it was the highest rated bagless last year. So far, we're pretty happy with it, and cleaning the canister is not too bad. I read somewhere a while ago that bag vacuums are better at suctioning the dirt. However, the top rated vacuums for people with allergies are all bagless. Ours does not lose suction. It is called the Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum with Inteli-Clean System.

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy...I know I'm a bit late, but I'm going to second Melissa's Dyson plug. We went to ABT in Glenview and tried out ALL of their vaccuums and found this was the easiest and nicest. I've never cleaned the canister as I'm not interested in getting dirty when I'm not in my garden.

There is one filter that needs to be rinsed once or twice a year but that's it. The dump lever is pretty cool. I think we got the Dyson Animal...it's purple and pretty ;-)

We've had it for 2 years and I really do like it. The attachments are easy to use, too.