On Tuesday, Bethany started her swim lessons. Now, these are not your typical swim lessons. The organization is Infant Swimming Resource. It's more training for survival in the water. So, if she were to fall in a pool when no one is around, she should know how to either roll over and float or get to the wall or the steps. It's a little difficult for me to watch, but she really is learning. She's only had three lessons. The lesson only lasts 10 minutes but the whole time she's screaming, "MAMA! MAMA!" which totally breaks my heart. But she does what Miss Becky tells her and she's learning that when Miss Becky lets her go, she better grab that wall! So I sit there with tears of anguish and pride at the same time. It's a weird feeling!
We were in Grandma's pool yesterday and she asked me to swim to the steps. Now, I kept my hand on her a little bit so it wouldn't scare her the same way it does with Miss Becky. I want to make sure she doesn't end up being scared of swimming all together. This was Miss Becky's idea. Anyway, she swam to the steps several times. Her head would be slightly under every time. Then she would "jump" off the step to me. It was really more like stepping off to me. But each time I would inch backward so she was "swimming" a little more each time. She seemed to enjoy it!
The funny thing is, as much as she screams in the water, everyday when we've left she's said, "I have fun Miss Becky". So, she doesn't object to going back. She just starts screaming as soon as we hand her to Miss Becky. Oh, well. I'm sure she'll get over it eventually. This can't go on for a full 5 weeks, right?
Friday, July 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yesterday was actually much better. Instead of screaming the entire time she would just say, "I need to dry off now" every time she came out of the water! :) I didn't cry as much, either. I think that was mostly because she had been so cranky that morning that I was just OVER IT! But it is neat to see what she can do already.
Post a Comment